Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
Getty believes diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion are essential to our excellence and to the execution of our mission. The Getty community values differences in the pursuit of inquiry and knowledge, mutual understanding, respect, trust, transparency, and cooperation. We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This is a limited-term position for one year. The Library Assistant will work both collaboratively and independently under minimal supervision of the Project Archivist, in processing the papers of renowned artist Claes Oldenburg, and critic, art historian and artist Coosje van Bruggen, who collaborated with Oldenburg on more than 40 public sculptures over three decades.
Comprising 690 linear feet, the partially processed archive covers every period of both Oldenburg's and Van Bruggen's careers, including their independent work as well as their collaborations. The archive contains more than 2,000 sketches and collages, 450 diaries and notebooks, and extensive correspondence, photographs, ephemera, and audiovisual materials, as well as plans, objects and templates related to projects. The Library Assistant's duties will include physical processing, arrangement, description, and re-housing of collection materials according to archival standards and best practices.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Archival processing, arrangement, and re-housing of delegated series within the papers of Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen
- Ensures proper handling, care, storage, preservation, and tracking of collection items
- Contributes to the development of a DACS-compliant finding aid and bibliographic record for the collection based on current standards, best practices, research, and evaluation
- May identify conservation concerns and liaise with conservation staff
- May retrieve, assess, and track collection materials for digitization
- May oversee work-study students or undergraduate interns
- Undergraduate coursework in art history, history or related field preferred
- Minimum 2 years related experience
All employees must be fully-vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment. Exemptions from this requirement as a reasonable accommodation due to medical contraindication, disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work with a wide variety of audiences, and attention to detail
- Knowledge of archival standards such as DACS, EAD, LCSH, AAT helpful
- Experience handling rare and unique materials with care, familiarity handling photographic and audiovisual materials helpful
- Introductory knowledge of bibliographic metadata structure and standards
- Experience with information and/or collection management systems preferred, knowledge of ArchivesSpace helpful
- Ability to meet deadlines and apply policies and procedures consistently
- Ability to lift boxes and push book trucks up to 40 pounds
- Ability to climb ladders
- Must have means of transportation to work sites at both the Getty Center in Brentwood and the Getty's off-site facility approximately 30 miles to the north
Benefits and Perks
Here are just some examples that Getty offers/provides for full-time employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance coverage, starting on date of hire. Getty pays 75%-95% of the premium, depending on the plan selected.
- 403(b) Employee Investment retirement plan – with up to 5% Getty Match
- Getty contribution of 6%, on behalf of employee, to 401(a) retirement account
- Educational Assistance and professional development
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Days
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Many positions have bi-weekly Off-Fridays
- On-Site Fitness Center at Getty Center
- Community service opportunities
To learn more about our comprehensive benefits and long list of perks, go to Getty HR.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.